So as it happens, ladybugs have always been considered a symbol of luck. It is most commonly believed to have been due to their eating pests that destroyed crops. I myself, have no crops to speak of except the pumpkin on my front porch and that has a face so I am not sure it really counts. The other day while cleaning my room I noticed a little ladybug wander in and smiled to myself as I thought of my impending good luck. It wasn't long before I noticed my bug had brought a few friends. Cute! and I shall have such good luck! Aren't I the lucky one?! Indeed I shall be!
I now have the most adorable infestation in my house. Apparently ladybugs seek lightly colored, older houses to stay hydrated and protected in the winter. I live in one of these exact cozy shelters. Ladybugs are also apparently really hard to encourage to vacate their shelter after they've found one and are particularly warm hosts that give off scents that attract their buddies from all around. While ladybugs aren't particularly harmful (they don't eat fabrics or bite you) they are still bugs and enough is enough! Immediate action has become necessary!
Today I sprayed the outside of my doors and windows with spider poison. I would like to point out that I did not aim said poison at any of my little ladies, I was merely trying to deter their attempts to enter my home. A little later I walked out my back door and found several bugs on their backs...shit. I began immediately to be short of breath and have pain in my chest. The bad luck begins and I'm having a panic attack! Or I am still inhaling poisonous fumes and should get out of the alcove? Removing myself from the alcove seems to have done the trick.
While my intentions were good, I sit here in my room wondering if my actions were too rash...can human, mutt and bug not live together in peaceful companionship through the rough winter? Have I just cursed the beginning of my 27th year and new life in Asheville?! Will my dog and I suffer long term affects of those poisonous fumes just like the innocent creatures I've just murdered in cold bug?!?! Am I overreacting!?!?!?! I suppose that's a possibility...
Not being sure quite what to do, I linger on my back porch at sunset, hope a small prayer for my newly deceased friends and ponder if infestation can really be counted as good luck in the first place. Either way, I've made my peace with my new housemates and have already begun to look forward to spring.
No comments:
Post a Comment