My uncle Sam is this great runner. I mean, that's what he does for fun. Tonight I asked him what it is that he thinks about when he's running. I've had a lot of problems with boredom as well as intense hatred of said action so I was looking for a new direction. He told me that he likes to number the things that he is worried about and he goes down the list, doing what he can to either solve or come to terms with each worry. I decided to give this approach a try so Lambert and I suited up and set off, ipodless, to find a trail to run.
While we were driving to a trail that we particularly like, I started thinking about what I really needed to dig into and work out for myself. What was I really going to accomplish tonight? A few things started to pop into my mind, a shower gift for Christy's engagement party, if Lambert and I could find an amazing little cottage with a fenced in yard when we got to Asheville, etc.. Nothing earth shattering or even really remarkable for that matter. I wanted to take it easy with my "worries" on the first go-round.
After parking my car we hopped out (some of us more excited than others about the task at hand) and walked through the gate to the trailhead sign. I looked quickly at the map to determine our route and then my eyes wandered all around the other postings. "Bears and Mountain Lions are Active!" and ways to try to not die. "You are in Rattlesnake Territory!"Again, followed by suggestions on staying alive. "Keep Your Dogs Away from Prairie Dogs!" They carry plague. Sure, you may not die but it's certainly not ideal.
With my new information Lambert and I set off merrily down the trail to see what we may see. As I started my run, I began plucking gingerly through the issues I'd selected for the evening (I mean, she's registered at Bed, Bath, and Beyond...) but instead found myself glancing all around and not giving my "worries" the attention they demanded. Unfortunately, it was not the picturesque view of the sun setting behind the mountains or the horses grazing pleasantly in the pasture while nonchalantly swatting flies with their tails that was stealing my thoughts. I was fearing for my safety and for the safety of my mutt. Lions and rattlers and bears. Oh my.
I've come to the conclusion that the Boulder Park Service likely runs with the same mindset as my uncle. They too, are imparting this bit of running wisdom and thoughtfully started with the most dangerous and worked their way down to the lamest way to die for easy prioritizing as you sweat. Now even the most calm, sane, happy person has several things to worry about while running after reading the helpful, posted signs. Suddenly, exercising is not for the faint of heart. No friends, it is the most terrifying thing you're going to do today. Good looking out Boulder Park Service. Good looking out indeed.
❤
No comments:
Post a Comment